The City of San Antonio and Neighborhood Housing Services Department manage a program that offers assistance with down payments and closing costs. The program, known as the Homeownership Incentive Program (HIP-80), provides federal grant funds to eligible first-time homebuyers. Its aim is to create homeownership opportunities for families with low to moderate incomes.
Families with incomes below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI) may be eligible to finance the purchase of an existing or newly constructed home. However, some of these families struggle to save enough money for the necessary down payment and closing costs required by their mortgage lender or lending institution.
The assistance provided comes in the form of a 5-year forgivable loan with a 0% interest rate. There are no monthly payments required. To apply for this assistance, homebuyers must first get pre-qualified for a mortgage loan from a lending institution of their choice. They should then discuss their desire to request down payment assistance through the HIP-80 program with their loan officer.
San Antonio Home Purchase Resources
First Time Home Buyers Program Facts
- Primary residence purchase only
- San Antonio HIP loans range from $1,000 to $30,000
- HIP loans are 0% interest and forgivable
- HIP is a second loan and home buyers must qualify with private lender for first mortgage
- Home must be purchased within the San Antonio city limits
Home Buyers Program Price Limits
- Existing San Antonio home purchase = $215,000
- New San Antonio home purchase = $251,000